Organization: CP Rochester
Posting Start: 09/02/2022
Location: Rochester, NY
Job Title: Dental Hygienist - $1000 Signing Bonus
Posting End: 10/31/2022
A Brief Job Description:
CP Rochester's Family Dental Center is an accessible oral care clinic that welcomes all patients while specializing in the treatment of adults and children with developmental and/or physical disabilities. Patients with and without special needs can expect the very best dental care available, because CP Rochester designed its Family Dental Center with all patients in mind. The facility, which accommodates individuals with a variety of mobility challenges, includes a ceiling track/lift system for transfers from wheelchairs, customized treatment rooms, and state-of-the-art dental equipment including a panoramic x-ray machine. All of these features, plus a highly-skilled clinical staff, guarantee the best environment to maximize the effectiveness of each treatment.
In the Dental Hygienist position you will be responsible for cleaning and polishing teeth; implement and evaluate dental hygiene care; provide proper oral hygiene instructions; examine head, neck and intraoral areas for signs of oral disease; take x-rays; apply fluoride or sealants; ensure infection control policy is followed.
- Clean calcareous deposits, accretions and stains from teeth and below margins of gingiva, using dental instruments (scaling and root planning; prophy).
- Assess for signs of health and disease in the oral cavity; identify dental hygiene problems; implement and evaluate dental hygiene care.
- Chart conditions of decay and disease for diagnosis and treatment by dentist.
- Examine gums, using probes, to locate and measure receded gingiva and signs of gingivitis or periodontal disease.
- Apply fluoride and other caries preventing agents to strengthen teeth and prevent dental decay; apply sealants to prevent pit and fissure caries.
- Take radiographs.
- Provide proper oral hygiene instructions for brushing and flossing; help patients to set oral health goals and collaborate with them, family and staff to meet their goals; counsel patients to control dietary sugar intake.
- Take impressions for study casts.
- Remove sutures and dressings.
- Prepare work area and instruments; keep work area neat and orderly; maintain and sharpen instruments; clean, oil and set up equipment; disinfect surfaces; sterilize instruments; set up instrument trays.
- Review patients’ medical histories and consult with dentist and/or physician about any special care needs.
- Infiltrate local anesthetic agents and administer nitrous oxide, if certified.
- Provide dental health education and conduct in-services to augment services of dentist.
- Work chairside with dentist, as needed, during examinations and treatments.
- Achieve program or department goals by performing other responsibilities as required.
- Maintain quality control.
Hours of Employment: This is a part-time position working 1-3 days per week. Hours of work are during program hours 8:00am-4:30pm. Evening work may be required as job duties demand.
1. Must be licensed as a Dental Hygienist in New York State.
2. Ensure/complete dental infection control per NYS license.
3. Must be eligible to provide Medicaid services / insurance billing.
4. Certification for infiltrative local anesthesia and nitrous oxide is preferred.
5. Clinical experience working with people with developmental disabilities preferred.
6. Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
7. Demonstrated ability to participate as a member of a multi-disciplinary team.
8. Computer literacy required.
Our Agencies do not discriminate against employees or applicants in the hiring, promotion, compensation, placement, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence or any other term or condition of employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender orientation/identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran, domestic violence victim status, prior arrest and conviction records or any other protected category in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.