Organization: The Center for Youth
Posting Start: 09/16/2022
Location: Rochester, Ny
Job Title: Emergency Shelter Relief Resident Assistant
Posting End: 10/31/2022
A Brief Job Description:
The Relief Counselor is responsible for supporting and managing a caring shelter environment including: supervision of residents, one-to-one counseling, teaching independent living skills, preparing meals with residents, facilitating recreational outings, and general upkeep of the house itself. This coverage is provided in the absence of full-time staff to ensure coverage of the established staffing pattern, or as an addition to the full-time team as deemed necessary by the Shelter Manager.
_ We are looking to hire for both daytime & overnight relief. _
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Supervision of residents within the daily routine
- Crisis prevention, resolution and intervention
- After hours crisis phone counseling, intake, assessment, and referral
- Documentation of critical information in staff log and resident files
- Transportation to recreation and other outings, when assigned
- Attend training and supervision sessions quarterly as required by state regulations, totaling 10 hours per year
- Assist with maintenance of shelter facility and grounds
- Maintain a caring and cooperative environment
- Maintain client confidentiality consistent with agency policy
- Other duties as assigned by Assistant Supervisor, or requested by Shift Charge staff
- Basic knowledge of various counseling approaches and techniques.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Sensitivity to cultural issues and needs of youth from diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive relationships with residents and staff. Knowledge of adolescent development.
- Ability to remain objective in crisis situations.
- Must have access to a vehicle and telephone and possess a valid Driver=s license with a driving record acceptable to our insurance carrier.
- In addition, must have the following automobile insurance: $300,000 Combined Single Limit or $300,000 Bodily Injury and $50,000 Property Damage.
The Center delivers programs and services to youth and families across Monroe County who represent many racial, cultural and geographic groups. The Center ensures understanding and values differences in people of diverse cultures, ethnic origins, sexual orientations, disabilities and beliefs. All staff are required to attend cultural competency workshops and trainings and to continually enhance their own understanding of cultural diversity. The Center Performance Appraisal, administered annually, provides an opportunity for staff to evaluate how they are integrating culturally competent practices into everyday work.
Candidates must be able to participate in the maintenance of The Center House facility and grounds and be able to operate the agency vans. The shelter is a three-story residence and candidates must be able to be autonomously mobile and able to work anywhere within the facility.
High school diploma or GED plus one year of Human Services experience, preferably working with youth.
COMPUTER SKILLS RECOMMENDED:
- Microsoft Office - Basic
The Center for Youth provides equal opportunities for employment.
Please attach your resume and cover letter with the job description in the subject line and send to email@example.com or apply directly on our website.