Posting Start: 2022-07-05
Location: Mt. Morris, NY
Job Title: Family Advocate I
Posting End: 2022-09-30
A Brief Job Description:
We are currently hiring for a Family Advocate at several of our NY locations to include Auburn, Batavia, Bath, Binghamton, Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse NY as well as our MD location.
Under the supervision and general direction of the assigned manager, the Family Peer Advocate provides outreach, information, referrals, advocacy services, and helps to coordinate family support services for families of children with special needs. Applicants must be a parent or primary care giver of a child with special needs and/or social, emotional, or behavioral challenges.
- Provide emotional support to families through phone and face to face meetings.
- Meet program specific billable service requirements (as appropriate).
- Meet documentation requirements in a timely manner per program guidelines.
- Provide family support as needed.
- Coach families on how to advocate for themselves.
- Facilitate/co-facilitate meetings with families in their home or at an agency location.
- Help families find ways to meet their basic needs of food, clothing, shelter, safety, and health.
- Assist families in identifying parenting skills which could be strengthened, and model these skills to the families.
- At the point of intake, help families assess their own resources for services needed. (such as respite, transportation and child care)
- Act as an advocate in identifying and accessing community services and resources for families.
- Help family identify gaps in services needed and assist in planning to eliminate gap.
- Help families to identify strengths upon which to build a foundation of improved communication and coping skills.
- Must be the parent or primary care giver of a child with special needs and/or social, emotional or behavioral challenges
- Must include a COVER LETTER DESCRIBING RELEVANT EXPERIENCE IS REQUIRED WITH RESUME
- Must have a minimum of a High School Diploma or GED
- Must have experience in navigating systems (general or special education, court, specialized therapies, etc.) to obtain services for their child/family and/or have experience supporting/assisting other families in obtaining assistance
- Have a valid driver’s license and meet agency driving standards
- Must demonstrate proficiency in all essential functions of the Family Advocate position, or must have 2 years of external experience in a comparable position demonstrating the same
Hillside is committed to equal opportunities for all, supporting a diverse workforce, creating great opportunities for our Agency, our people, and to those whom we serve. We offer a competitive benefits package to include very generous paid time off, comprehensive medical, dental and vision coverage, flexible spending account, 403(b) retirement savings plan with employer match, paid holidays, and Employee Assistance Plan, just to name a few of the amazing benefits at Hillside! You’ll be working with great people and great clientele where you can truly make a difference. Apply online, get on board, and grow your career with us. You’ll be so glad you did!