Organization: The Center for Youth
Posting Start: 2021-07-21
Job Title: Human Resources/Payroll Specialist
Posting End: 2021-08-31
A Brief Job Description:
The HR/Payroll Manager assists the Director of Human Resources with the overall operations of the department and provides administrative support for human resources functions. This position manages the recruitment process/logistics, on-boarding of staff, ensures compliance with federal and state laws, maintains employee information/files and other related duties. In addition, the HR/Payroll Specialist manages the payroll system and payroll reporting for the agency.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Assists Managers with recruitment and interview process
- Creates and maintains job postings
- Manages logistics of the interview request process – setting up interviews for managers, preparing interview packets for applicant and for interviewers, follow up, letters, maintaining files
- Answers general HR and payroll-related questions/phone calls
- Completes initial background checks on applicants including criminal history, driving, state central register
- Facilitates fingerprinting process – meet with employee, walk them through the online registration process, conduct SEL check, maintain fingerprinting files to ensure funder compliance.
- Meets with new Relief Staff (and other staff, as needed) to complete onboarding/employment paperwork
- Ensures compliance with federal and state laws concerning employment including COBRA and other requirements/mandates
- Recommends new approaches, policies and procedures to effect continual improvements in efficiency of the department and services performed.
- Effectively maintains employee records, database detail and benefits. Verifies all HR systems are in place for compliance with regulatory requirements (example: I-9, W-2, background checks, etc).
- Responds to the DOL pertaining to unemployment information requests.
- Compiles and reports relevant data as needed for statistical or other requested purposes.
- Provides back-up for HR Director as needed
- Performs other duties, as assigned
- Manages payroll system and processes
- Records all payroll data in payroll system and verifies all information
- Compiles new employee information and enters into payroll database system
- Verifies timekeeping records and consults employees about any discrepancies
- Provides PTO data entry, tracking and employee communication
- Manages employee changes and benefits in the payroll system
- Trains all staff on utilization of the electronic payroll and timekeeping system
- Resolves employee questions and concerns about payroll services
- Generates reports from information contained in the payroll system for Finance and HR departments as needed
- Maintains compliant policies and procedures for payroll
- Ensures accuracy of all information
- Occasionally, serve as a back-up to the Receptionist, as needed. During this time, assumes job duties of the receptionist.
- Participate in monthly staff meetings and required trainings
- Maintains employee confidence and protects operations by keeping human resource and payroll information confidential.
- Prioritizes and plans work activities and uses time efficiently.
- Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner, gathers and analyzes information skillfully
- Adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands and is able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events.
- Communicates clearly.
- Edits work for spelling and grammar, presents numerical data effectively and is able to read and interpret written information.
- Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness and monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Focuses well with time constraints, schedules and competing priorities. Must be able to work in a busy environment.
- Must have access to a vehicle and telephone and possess a valid Driver’s license with a driving record acceptable to agency insurance carrier. In addition, must have the following automobile insurance: $100,000 per person/$300,000 per accident Bodily Injury and $50,000 Property Damage.
The Center delivers programs and services to youth and families across Monroe County who represent many racial, cultural and geographic groups. The Center ensures understanding and values differences in people of diverse cultures, ethnic origins, sexual orientations, disabilities and beliefs. All staff are required to attend cultural competency workshops and trainings and to continually enhance their own understanding of cultural diversity. The Center Performance Appraisal, administered annually, provides an opportunity for staff to evaluate how they are integrating culturally competent practices into everyday work.
Candidates must be able to operate micro-computer and peripherals several hours per day.
Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 2 years of HR generalist experience required. Minimum of one year of payroll system management and payroll processing experience is required.
COMPUTER SKILLS RECOMMENDED:
Rev. 07/2021 The Center for Youth provides equal opportunities for employment.