Organization: Mental Health Association of Rochester
Posting Start: 04/23/2021
Job Title: Peer Transition Support Specialist
Posting End: 08/01/2021
A Brief Job Description:
Peer Transition Support Specialists support individuals as they transition from Affinity Place
back into community living. Specialists are paired with individuals while they are in residence
and continue working with them after leaving the house. The goal is to prevent the need for
future crisis intervention.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities: (Additional duties may be assigned)
• To engage individuals in a personal, supportive manner, creating relationships that
• To act as positive role models and mentors.
• To encourage and assist individuals to build effective recovery skills and strategies.
• To provide support and linkage to clinical services and community based social services
(such as support groups) and natural support systems.
• Must be prepared to work flexible hours that include days, evenings and weekends.
• Have the ability to transport and accompany individuals to necessary resources.
• Maintain appropriate records, complete paperwork in a timely manner
• Comply with HIPPA regulations
Education and Experience:
• High School Diploma or GED/HSED required.
• MUST have obtained or be willing to obtain within 12 months, NYS Certified Peer
• Reliable transportation and valid NYS driver’s license required
• Bi-lingual in Spanish preferred, but not required.
Equipment, Machines and Software Used:
Driver’s License, clean driver’s abstract and reliable vehicle required.
Ability to operate various office equipment including computer, printer, telephone, fax machine,
photocopier, scanner, and calculator.
Computer Software: Microsoft Office to include Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Excel.
JOB DESCRIPTION Peer Transition Support Specialist Page 2 of 2 January 2019
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Strong analytical, critical thinking and decision-making skills.
• Demonstrated ability to handle a variety of work assignments and to think creatively.
• Capable of working both independently and as an interdependent member of a team.
• Demonstrated good oral and written communication skills.
• Personal lived experience with mental health is preferred.
• Individuals must demonstrate sensitivity, respect, and competency with diverse cultural
backgrounds, social identities and practices of community members and be willing to
participate in anti-racism focused diversity training to increase skills in this area.
• Demonstrated ability to work with a diverse group of people and groups successfully with
sensitivity and respect for diverse cultural backgrounds and practices.
• Excellence in interpersonal and communication skills, including writing.
• Computer proficiency including word processing, data entry, spreadsheets.
• Skill in planning and scheduling to establish deadlines and ensure the timely completion of
Physical and Mental Requirements:
• Ability to exert up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force
constantly to move objects.
Work is performed in a typical office environment where there is no substantial exposure to
adverse environmental conditions
• All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals
• This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be
performed by the employee(s) occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow
any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by
• The company reserves the right to add to or revise an employee’s job duties at any time at
its sole discretion.
• This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an
“at will” employment relationship.