Organization: Ibero American Action League
Posting Start: 2021-07-14
Location: Rochester, NY
Job Title: Registered Nurse
Posting End: 2021-10-31
A Brief Job Description:
Program RN (Registered Nurse) 5/2021 _____
JOB TITLE DATE
Developmental Disabilities Full Time
DIVISION POSITION STATUS
Director of Clinical Support Services Exempt
TITLE OF IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR FLSA STATUS
Under the supervision of the Director of Clinical Support Services, the Nurse will provide nursing services to program participants and supervision to Medical Liaisons as outlined below. In the absence of the Clinical Director, the Program RN will report to the Senior Director of OPWDD Services.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Provide nursing services to program participants which includes, but not limited to health education and management, medication, monitoring, provides information and referral to primary physician, and other medical or mental health providers.
- Provide direct supervision and training to their assigned Medical Liaisons.
- Actively participate in Incident Review Committee, Informed Consent Committee and Human Rights committee as assigned by immediate supervisor.
- Work in collaboration with Residential Coordinators and Director of Residential to enhance staff development among the DSP workforce to include the Medical Liaison.
- Secures all health care services, in collaboration with the Medical Liaison, to ensure quality access to health care services for all individuals.
- Provide adequate instruction, training methods and support to direct support professionals in the treatment plans.
- Physically examine and determine health status of program participants and ensures that medication is prescribed, obtained and provided.
- Responsible for inventory of medical cabinet to include but not limited to prescriptions, expiration dates, integrity of medical equipment.
- Responsible for maintenance and integrity of the medical chart.
- Keeps program participant’s records current including the semi-annual nursing assessments for all programs as required by Federal, State, County and Agency regulations.
- Provides medication training to staff, including medication administration training practicums, updates and supervision.
- Ensures that programs meet state and federal standards in regards to medical regulations. (633.17)
- Acts as liaison among day programs, families, and other service providers for any medical related issues.
- Ensures the dissemination of documentation to programs as needed.
- Obtains medical documentation and completes medical intake process for all new participants.
- Participates in development of medical policies and procedures for program participants.
- Attends specialty appointments for participants as necessary.
- Participate and maintains the comprehensive service planning and implementation of individual support program plan and care of each program participant.
- Provides required in-service per state, and local regulations to include but not limited to; personal hygiene, family life, sex education, detecting signs of illness or dysfunction, infection control, and normal growth and development.
- Adherence to agency and program policy and procedures.
- All other duties as assigned by supervisor.
This position holds a relatively high degree of independence within the framework of the agency’s policies and procedures. The individual must be resourceful and able to display initiative and understanding of OPWDD and federal policies, procedures and regulations as a framework, exercises initiative in setting priorities to task and in making decisions. Must assess situations to determine the best course of action and follow established policies and procedures as guidelines. Must keep immediate supervisor abreast of issues and concerns which could merit intervention from higher level management staff.
- Support a person’s unique capacities, personality and potential
- Getting to know a person through assessment/discovery
- Promoting advocacy with the individual
- Facilitating personal growth and development
- Facilitation of supports and services
- Building and maintaining relationships
- Creating meaningful communication
- Develop professional relationships
- Exhibit professional behavior
- Show respect for diversity and inclusion
- Create meaningful documentation reports
- Education, training and self-development activities
- Organizational participation
- Exhibit ethical behavior on the job
- Promote positive behavior and support
- Supports health and wellness
- Prevents, recognizes and reports abuse
- Supports crisis prevention, intervention and resolution
- Supports safety
- Ensures safety of individuals during environmental emergencies
- Supports people to live in the home of their choice
- Supports active participation in the community
- Supports employment, education and career goal attainment
Skills and Abilities:
- Licensed Nurse and currently registered by the New York State Department of Education with specialized training or one year experience in treating individuals with developmental disabilities.
- Experience providing training self-starter.
- Ability to work outside of normal working hours when needed.
- Valid NYS driver’s license.
- A combination of training and experience other than the specified, if judged to be adequate for the job, may be accepted by the President and CEO.
The position does require occasional standing, squatting, lifting of up to approximately 50 lbs.