Organization: The Center For Youth
Posting Start: 09/30/2022
Location: Rochester, Ny
Job Title: Relief Resident Assistant- Arnett House
Posting End: 10/31/2022
A Brief Job Description:
This is a full-time , relief position with a pay range of $15.00-$17.00 per hour. All shifts available including days, evenings, overnights, weekends. The hours are Tuesday and Wednesday 3:30 to 11pm, Thursday and Friday from 10am to 6pm, Saturday 3:30 to 11pm.
The Arnett House team provides independent living supports and services to homeless and runaway youth 24 hours/day, 7 days/week, year-round, with a focus on LGBTQ+ and trafficked youth. Relief Resident Assistants strive to engage and establish mutually respectful, trusting relationships with the young people we serve. Residents are approached from a strength and asset-based perspective and staff form partnerships with them to help facilitate the identification of issues, concerns and needs and develop strategies to meet those needs. The ultimate goal of the team is to provide transitional care and support to RHY in a safe, respectful environment and to work with them to resolve the issues which led to their homelessness so that they can ultimately, secure and maintain a stable living environment.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND EXAMPLE OF DUTIES:
- Perform client checks (health and safety) and curfew checks as needed;
- Set house alarm system by designated time as needed;
- Provide guidance and support with inter-personal issues as they arise between residents;
- Monitor residents adherence to program rules and expectations;
- Provide participants with access to the house and their bedrooms in the event of lock-outs;
- Respond to resident emergencies at Arnett House as indicated by program procedures and alert Agency On-Call Supervisor when appropriate;
- Possess sound judgment, problem solving and decision making skills;
- Is youth positive, friendly, engaging and can foster a sense of trust;
- Maintain clear professional boundaries;
- Maintain accurate and up to date records on bedroom/curfew checks and incidents; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Adhere to ethical conduct
- Demonstrate professionalism i.e., timely, dependable, responsible, flexible
- Be non-judgmental and respectful
- Model principles of inclusion and tolerance
- Be youth centered and positive
- Be youth friendly
- Establish effective working relationships with supervisor and co-workers
- Have strong literacy skills (i.e., reading, writing, comprehension)
- Have excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Apply best-practices and evaluation methods
- Effectively promote knowledge and skill development and positive behaviors
- Provide leadership and/or work independently as requested
Candidate must possess knowledge of -
- Adolescent development including: positive youth development, asset development, risk reduction and protective factors
- Crisis intervention techniques
- Community resources
- Client advocacy
The Center delivers services to youth and families from many racial, ethnic, cultural, social and life style groups. We value differences in people and strive to understand diverse cultures, ethnic origins, sexual orientations, abilities and beliefs. To this end, all staff are required to attend professional development trainings and to continually enhance their understanding of cultural diversity.
Staff are expected to respect and honor cultural and human diversity. The annual Performance Appraisal provides an opportunity for staff to evaluate how they are integrating culturally competent practices into their everyday work.
A minimum of an Associate’s Degree in human services, education or a related field; and 1 year experience or an equivalent combination of education, employment and life experience.
In addition to the above, it is mandatory that candidates meet the following criteria prior to hire:
- Completion of State Central Registry Clearance form*
- Authorization for agency to complete criminal background check
- Proof of a satisfactory physical exam within the last 12 months including a PPD and annually thereafter.
- Completion of fingerprinting process and clearance via NYS Justice Center
- Access to a telephone
*Note: It is also mandatory that new employees be cleared by the NYS Central Register prior to unsupervised interaction with clients.
Candidates must be able to be autonomously mobile in order to provide the required services.
The Center for Youth provides equal opportunities for employment.
Please attach resume and cover letter with the job description in the subject line and send to email@example.com or apply directly on our website.