Organization: University of Rochester Medical Center
Posting Start: 05/12/2022
Job Title: SOCIAL WORKER (MSW) #237126
Posting End: 09/02/2022
A Brief Job Description:
STRONG BEHAVIORAL HEALTH
CHILD AND ADOLESCENT PSYCHIATRY PROGRAM
PARTIAL HOSPITAL PROGRAM
Description of Patient Population:
X Pediatric(s) 5-12
X Adolescent(s) 15 - 17
X Adult(s) 18 - 30
The social worker is responsible for providing individual and group therapy to patients who attend the Partial Hospital Program (PHP) and their families. The social worker conducts psychosocial and family assessments, and in collaboration with the interdisciplinary treatment team, develops and implements treatment and continuity of care plans for patients assigned to their caseload. The social worker provides social work consultation to members of the interdisciplinary team. The social worker develops and maintains relationships with community agencies and providers who refer to and receive patients from the Program. In conjunction with other members of the interdisciplinary team, the social worker is responsible for crisis intervention, maintenance of the therapeutic milieu, and assessment and management of patient safety.
- Ensures that Social Work Division, Department, Program, and Hospital policies and procedures are implemented with regard to patient care, discharge planning, and professional practice.
- Participates in program development, implementation, and evaluation as delegated.
- Participates in routine committee process of the Social Work Division and the Adolescent Hospital Program and complies with Social Work Division and Department quality assurance and staff development activities.
- Attends Social Work Division and Program Staff Meetings, and may attend program or service area Administrative meetings as delegated.
- Participates in activities of the Social Work Division, including, but not limited to timely completion of statistical reports/forms, time sheets and other Hospital or Division forms, Hospital and Division mandatory in-service training programs, and annual health updates.
- Serves as primary therapist to patients assigned to his/her caseload.
- Performs psychosocial assessments of patients and family assessments.
- Participates in the planning and leadership of therapeutic groups for program patients, and contributes to the management of the therapeutic milieu.
- Provides social work treatment and education to patients and families. This may be in the following modalities: individual, family, and/or group therapy.
- Coordinates activities related to the comprehensive treatment and continuity of care planning for the patients assigned to his/her caseload with other members of the interdisciplinary treatment team.
- Collaborates with appropriate collateral contacts and maintains linkages to community resources.
- May participate in the intake/screening process for new referrals as requested.
- Consults to other members of the treatment team regarding community resources, entitlement programs, Child and Adult Protective Services, and domestic violence.
- Documents social work assessments and interventions in the patient’s chart in compliance with Division, Departmental, Program, and Hospital policy.
- Participates in on-call activities of the Social Work Division.
- Provides back-up social work services as requested during the absence of co-workers.
PROFESSIONAL SUPERVISION AND ACCOUNTABILITY:
The clinical social worker's professional performance is supervised by a Social Work Division supervisor who is certified by the State of New York (LCSW).
- The social worker is accountable clinically and administratively to his/her social work supervisor (and through him/her to the Social Work Division Clinical Manager in Psychiatry) for provision of social work services, and adherence to Social Work policies, procedures, and standards of professional conduct. The clinical social worker's job performance must conform to the expectations set forth in the position description.
- The social worker is accountable to the Director of the Partial Hospital Program for providing professional social work services in accordance with the policies and standards established by the Program, the Department of Psychiatry, and Strong Memorial Hospital.
The social worker in this position must have a Master of Social Work degree from an accredited social work graduate program and obtain within 18 months of employment, a New York State license (LMSW).
POSITION DESCRIPTION MAINTENANCE:
This position description is reviewed annually by the senior social worker and their supervisor. Position review provides opportunity for comment from the Clinical Director of the Program, and for updating, as needed. Similarly, if a new social worker is hired for the position, a review and update of the position description should occur. Changes in the position description are recommended by the supervisor, in consultation with the Director of the Program. Any position description modification is authorized by the Social Work Division Clinical Manager for Psychiatry.
The University of Rochester is committed to fostering, cultivating, and preserving a culture of equity, diversity, and inclusion to advance the University’s mission to Learn, Discover, Heal, Create – and Make the World Ever Better. In support of our values and those of our society, the University is committed to not discriminating on the basis of age, color, disability, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, military/veteran status, national origin, race, religion/creed, sex, sexual orientation, citizenship status, or any other status protected by law. This commitment extends to the administration of our policies, admissions, employment, access, and recruitment of candidates from underrepresented populations, veterans, and persons with disabilities consistent with these values and government contractor Affirmative Action obligations.