Organization: The Center for Youth
Posting Start: 09/16/2022
Location: Rochester, Ny
Job Title: Overnight Emergency Shelter Counselor- Part-Time
Posting End: 10/31/2022
A Brief Job Description:
Hours: Monday 9:30pm - 7:30am; Wednesday & Friday 10:00pm - 8:00am
Pay Rate: $16.00- 19.00 per hour
The emergency shelter team provides emergency survival-support services to homeless and runaway youth 24 hours/day, 7 days/week, year-round.
Counselors strive to engage and establish mutually respectful, trusting relationships with the youth we serve. Clients are approached from a strength and asset-based perspective and staff form partnerships with them to help facilitate the identification of issues, concerns and needs and develop strategies to meet those needs. The ultimate goal of the team is to provide emergency care and support to RHY in a safe, respectful environment and to work with them to resolve the issues which led to their homelessness so that they can ultimately, secure and maintain a stable living environment.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND EXAMPLE OF DUTIES:
- Supervision of daily activities, such as: Wake-Up, Clean-up, Daily Chores, Bedtime, Distribution of medications and appropriate documentation
- Liaison with Intake and Emergency Shelter Support (Counseling) teams
- Individual counseling and mentoring
- After-hour response, assessment and intake of youth in need
- Development and supervision of social, cultural and recreational activities
- Crisis/conflict prevention/intervention, response and intervention
- Maintenance of accurate and timely program records
- Research, development and facilitation of age-appropriate basic life skills and independent living skills trainings
- Maintenance of facility and grounds
- Daily meal planning and preparation
- Promotion of positive team interactions throughout the agency
- Active participation in individual and group supervision
- Attendance at staff meetings
- Development and pursuit of professional development
- Representation of the agency on community committees, coalitions, etc., as assigned
- Other duties, as assigned
Candidates must be:
- Youth friendly and positive
- Calm and objective in crisis situations
- Sensitive to the cultural issues and needs of youth from diverse backgrounds
- Able to establish and maintain positive working relationships with key stakeholders (i.e., youth, peers, referral sources, law enforcement)
- Able to work evenings, weekends and holidays, as needed and assigned
Candidates must possess significant knowledge of and skills related to:
- Positive youth development
- Counseling approaches and techniques
- Adolescent development and issues
- Residential services
- Group facilitation and training methods
- Community resources
- Crisis prevention, intervention skills and resolution
- Verbal and written communication
- Time management
- Social, recreational activities
- Meal preparation, housekeeping and the maintenance of facility and grounds
In addition to the above, it is mandatory that prior to hire a candidate have or be willing to obtain: A valid NYS driver’s license, A driving record acceptable to agency insurance carrier.
*Note: It is also mandatory that new employees be cleared by the NYS Central Register prior to interaction with clients.
The Center delivers programs and services to youth and families across Monroe County who represent many racial, cultural and geographic groups. The Center ensures understanding and values differences in people of diverse cultures, ethnic origins, sexual orientations, disabilities and beliefs. All staff are required to attend cultural competency workshops and trainings and to continually enhance their own understanding of cultural diversity. The Center Performance Appraisal, administered annually, provides an opportunity for staff to evaluate how they are integrating culturally competent practices into everyday work.
The Center House is a three-story residence and candidates must be autonomously mobile and able to work anywhere within the facility. Candidates must be able to participate in the maintenance of the facility and grounds and be able to operate Center House vans.
Bachelor’s Degree in a Human Services related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
COMPUTER SKILLS RECOMMENDED:
- Microsoft Office - Intermediate
The Center for Youth provides equal opportunities for employment.
Please attach your resume and cover letter with the job description in the subject line and send to firstname.lastname@example.org or apply directly on our website.